by Ed Simon
The House Un-American Activities Committee and the real intent of Trump's "free speech" executive order.
SOURCE: Sandbox (blog)
by Martin Kramer
"Trump’s limited executive order doesn’t resemble the sweeping Jewish ban that changed the career of Bernard Lewis.”
by Bob Buzzanco
Not since I had to remember and recite “The New Colossus” in elementary school have I seen so many references to Emma Lazarus’s poem on the Statue of Liberty as in the past week.
SOURCE: Informed Comment
by Juan Cole
On the similarities between the Trump / Bannon inaugural speech and Fascist ideology.
by David J. Bier
Congress long ago outlawed discrimination based on national origin.
The petition criticizes the executive order restricting immigration from select Muslim countries.
by Benjamin Hellwege
Older Americans are facing rampant job discrimination. The law enacted in 1967 to protect them has been weakened by the Supreme Court. Congress won’t act. Obama should.
- Treating immigrants like criminals has a long history in the United States
- Hundreds of black Americans were killed during 'Red Summer.' A century later, still ignored
- Memes and Memory: How Anthony Johnson, a Captive African, Became a Right-wing Talking Point
- Ed Dwight Was Set to Be the First Black Astronaut. Here’s Why That Never Happened.
- 75 Years After World War II Theft, a Painting Returns to Italy
- Kruse and Zelizer: Trump Is a Symptom of an Age That’s Been a Long Time Coming
- Reginald Butler, Former African American Studies Director at UVA, Dies
- Duke Professor Emeritus John Herd Thompson Dies at 72
- ‘The Code’ Review: How Green Was the Valley
- Academics Respond to Wall Street Journal Op Ed Calling Academia "Sweet Racket"