SOURCE: Associated Press
“Medgar and Myrlie Evers are heroes whose contributions to the advancement of civil rights in Mississippi and our nation cannot be overstated,” U.S. Sen Roger Wicker said in a statement.
SOURCE: The Progress-Index
by T. Anthony Bell
Medgar Evers, like many civil rights activists, was a veteran. Their service shaped their activism.
SOURCE: National Geographic
Medgar was gunned down in his driveway on June 12, 1963.
SOURCE: Guardian (UK)
Martha Bergmark is founding president and CEO of the Mississippi Center for Justice, a nonprofit public interest law firm committed to advancing racial and economic justice.On this day, 50 years ago, I was a white teenager in Jackson, Mississippi, absorbed most of the time with the typical concerns of childhood. But I vividly remember 12 June 1963, because that night my family and I heard the news that Medgar Evers, a well-known civil rights leader in our state, had been shot and killed in the driveway of his home, just a few miles from where we lived.
ARLINGTON, Va. — Myrlie Evers-Williams, the widow of the slain civil rights leader Medgar Evers, said her husband was a man who saw a job that needed to be done, and he answered the call, “not just for his people but for all people.”Ms. Evers-Williams and a group of about 300 visitors, including Attorney General Eric H. Holder Jr. and former President Bill Clinton, observed the 50th anniversary of Mr. Evers’s assassination on Wednesday at Arlington National Cemetery, where Mr. Evers is buried.Mr. Evers was working as a field secretary for the N.A.A.C.P. when he was gunned down in the driveway of his home in Jackson, Miss., on June 12, 1963, at the age of 37. Byron De La Beckwith, a white supremacist, was convicted of the murder in 1994, 30 years after two all-white juries deadlocked on earlier charges....
- Why more places are abandoning Columbus Day in favor of Indigenous Peoples’ Day
- Rudy Giuliani comparing impeachment to the Salem witch trials is a little right and a lot wrong, expert says
- U.N. Report Bolsters Theory That Hammarskjold Plane Was Downed
- Panama celebrates its black Christ, part of protest against colonialism and slavery
- Fundamentalism turns 100, a landmark for the Christian Right
- Labor Historian Staughton Lynd's Book Is Embraced by Google Workers and Uber Drivers
- Rick Perry recommended former ambassador, historian Daniel Yergin for Ukraine reforms-U.S. Energy Dept
- Ginsburg predicts historians will call this political era an 'aberration'
- American Historical Association Announces 2019 Prize Winners
- A New History Celebrates Brooklyn’s Heights, and Depths Image