SOURCE: Washington Post
by Jonathan Zimmerman
After nearly 70 years, Republicans have stopped defending Joe McCarthy.
by Ronald L. Feinman
Trump has learned very well from prior anti-Communism crusaders, and it requires vigilance and activism to cope with the threat he represents every day.
SOURCE: The Nation
He says former CIA Director John Brennan's statements about Trump echo Jospeh McCarthy and J. Edgar Hoover
by Jeremy Stern
My grandparents fled Tsarist Russia to escape persecution for their ideas and their Judaism. They found a far freer nation ‒ but also reminders that freedom is not always secure, even in America.
SOURCE: The Daily Beast
by Gil Troy
William Benton was an advertising icon and wildly successful investor—and with those millions backing him up, he took on the country’s scariest politician.
SOURCE: The National
by Ellen Schrecker
An expert on the McCarthy Era, she writes from experience and research.
In the US they were scorned in the McCarthy era, but at a China museum they’re lionized.
- Treating immigrants like criminals has a long history in the United States
- Hundreds of black Americans were killed during 'Red Summer.' A century later, still ignored
- Memes and Memory: How Anthony Johnson, a Captive African, Became a Right-wing Talking Point
- Ed Dwight Was Set to Be the First Black Astronaut. Here’s Why That Never Happened.
- 75 Years After World War II Theft, a Painting Returns to Italy
- Kruse and Zelizer: Trump Is a Symptom of an Age That’s Been a Long Time Coming
- Reginald Butler, Former African American Studies Director at UVA, Dies
- Duke Professor Emeritus John Herd Thompson Dies at 72
- ‘The Code’ Review: How Green Was the Valley
- Academics Respond to Wall Street Journal Op Ed Calling Academia "Sweet Racket"