SOURCE: Washington Post
by Jonathan Zimmerman
After nearly 70 years, Republicans have stopped defending Joe McCarthy.
by Ronald L. Feinman
Trump has learned very well from prior anti-Communism crusaders, and it requires vigilance and activism to cope with the threat he represents every day.
SOURCE: The Nation
He says former CIA Director John Brennan's statements about Trump echo Jospeh McCarthy and J. Edgar Hoover
by Jeremy Stern
My grandparents fled Tsarist Russia to escape persecution for their ideas and their Judaism. They found a far freer nation ‒ but also reminders that freedom is not always secure, even in America.
SOURCE: The Daily Beast
by Gil Troy
William Benton was an advertising icon and wildly successful investor—and with those millions backing him up, he took on the country’s scariest politician.
SOURCE: The National
by Ellen Schrecker
An expert on the McCarthy Era, she writes from experience and research.
In the US they were scorned in the McCarthy era, but at a China museum they’re lionized.
- Trump administration says joint UNC, Duke Middle East Studies program portrays Islam too positively
- What White Kids Learn About Race in School
- Frederick Douglass photos smashed stereotypes. Could Elizabeth Warren selfies do the same?
- Chronicling New York’s Muslim History
- New Documents Illuminate The University of Texas’s Secret Strategy to Keep Out Black Students
- Women Scientists Were Written Out of History. It’s Margaret Rossiter’s Lifelong Mission to Fix That
- Allen C. Guelzo Reviews Sidney Blumenthal's Latest Installment of His Biography of Lincoln
- What Reconstruction-Era Laws Can Teach Our Democracy: The NY Times Reviews Eric Foner's Latest Book
- Should historians read their own book?
- Cokie Roberts, Pioneering Journalist Who Helped Shape NPR, Dies At 75