It’s Been 3 Decades Since There Were So Few Jobs for History Ph.D.sHistorians in the News
tags: history crisis
How rough was the 2016-17 job market for historians? Very rough, according to new data released by the American Historical Association. Job openings for people with history Ph.D.s listed on the association’s careers website dropped to the lowest level in more than three decades.
From June 2016 to June 2017, 501 listings for full-time history positions were posted on the site, marking a 12-percent decline from the previous year, a report on the data shows. It’s the lowest number since the 1984-85 hiring season, when the association posted fewer than 500 jobs.
comments powered by Disqus
- Karen L. Cox says historians shouldn’t be afraid to embrace YouTube to reach millennials
- You Know Your History? These Podcasts Aren’t So Sure.
- Victor Davis Hanson says Trump Must "Retire as Twitter Champ”
- The Daily Mail is highlighting claims by a Cambridge don that teachers are helping to foster resentment by presenting history as the struggle of minority groups
- Historians Are Calling Out Trump Online Whenever He Misreads the Past