History professor to run for CongressHistorians in the News
tags: Western Michigan University, David Benac
Days after U.S. Rep. Bill Huizenga, R-Zeeland, got a challenger for his seat in 2018, another West Michigan Republican has been put into the crosshairs of a Democratic hopeful.
Western Michigan University (WMU) history professor David Benac, of Kalamazoo, has announced he will seek the Michigan 6th Congressional District seat, currently held by U.S. Rep. Fred Upton, R-St. Joseph.
“I just feel like Upton’s reign is over,” Benac said in a news release. “He made a horrible decision by going back on his position in regards to the AHCA bill and has lost the trust of many of his constituents.”
Benac is the second WMU professor to challenge Upton, after political science professor Paul Clements tried his luck in 2014 and 2016. Upton won both match-ups with 55 percent and 58 percent of the vote, respectively.
“Fred was overwhelmingly reelected with nearly 60 percent of the vote just seven months ago. For now he’s laser focused on common-sense, bipartisan policies to create Michigan jobs and serving the best interests of folks here at home,” said Upton campaign director Liz Garey. “While it’s no surprise a liberal candidate has announced, Fred’s top priority is to continue working tirelessly to make Southwest Michigan an even better place to live and work.” ...
comments powered by Disqus
- New book says amount of mustard gas exposure in World War II may be higher than acknowledged by government
- Canada’s Secret to Resisting the West’s Populist Wave
- Trump’s travel ban is built on a law meant to ‘protect’ the U.S. from Jews and communists
- The Time to Retrieve Time’s Time Capsule Is at Hand
- Manassas church opens restored slave cabin to the public
- John B. Boles wants students to know more about Jefferson than that he was a slaveholder
- Historian Daniel K. Williams says Democrats have a religion problem
- Bill O’Reilly – America’s best-selling “historian” – ridiculed in Harper’s for writing bad history
- Largest history festival is the UK criticized for being white and male
- Eric Foner doesn’t think much of a book that claims Lincoln moved slowly to emancipate blacks because he was a racist