Historian who Tweeted ‘Trump Must Hang’ Apologizes and Deletes AccountHistorians in the News
tags: Trump, Anti Trump
A lecturer at California State University at Fresno who tweeted that “Trump must hang” has apologized for the statement and deleted his Twitter account.
The instructor, Lars Maischak, acted after the president of Fresno State, Joseph I. Castro, condemned the tweet and said the university would participate in any federal investigation of the incident. Earlier this week Mr. Maischak said his message had been taken out of context, but he stopped short of apologizing.But in an email on Wednesday to The Chronicle, Mr. Maischak wrote that he did not intend to harm anyone with his messages, and that he had sought forgiveness from people “who felt threatened or offended by them.”
“With 28 followers on Twitter at the time, I never expected them to be read by anyone but a close circle of acquaintances who would know to place them in their context,” he wrote. “To treat Twitter as of no more consequence than a journal was a poor decision.” ...
comments powered by Disqus
- Historians plead with Trump not to block the release of final stash of JFK assassination documents
- Historian and Novelist Thomas Fleming Has Passed Away at Age 90
- Steven Salaita, Whose Revoked Job Offer Inflamed Higher Ed, Says He’s Leaving Academe
- When did higher education become partisan?
- One reason H.R. McMaster and Trump don't have a close relationship