Historian Says Newly Released Letters Show Reagan Left Liberalism When Communists InfiltratedHistorians in the News
tags: Communism, Reagan
A recently released exchange of letters between Ronald Reagan and an older Soviet émigré, Lola Kinel Shipman, sheds new light on when and why Reagan shifted from being a supporter of the Popular Front to becoming a strong anti-Communist liberal. After World War II, Reagan wrote:
[I was] blindly and busily joining every organization I could find that would guarantee to save the world.
Reagan became a member, and then leader, of two major groups: the American Veterans Committee, and the Hollywood Independent Citizens Committee of the Arts (known as HICCASP, which he later said sounded “like the cough of a dying man”). But Reagan -- as my wife and I showed in our book Red Star Over Hollywood -- quickly found that these and other Popular Front groups were dominated by Communist Party members, who eventually took them over and tried to get members to follow a pro-Soviet foreign policy.
The newly found letter, sold by historical documents center RAAB, reveals that Reagan’s strong opposition to communism led him to change his political views to conservatism. ...
comments powered by Disqus
- The History Briefing on the 30th Anniversary of the Fall of the Berlin Wall
- History Says Bloomberg 2020 Would Be a Sure Loser
- Then and now: How Trump impeachment hearing is different
- Poland asks Netflix to make changes to documentary about Nazi death camp guard
- What is a caliph? The Islamic State tries to boost its legitimacy by hijacking a historic institution
- Black Perspectives Publishes Online Forum: "Researching, Teaching, and Embodying the Black Diaspora"
- Distinguished professor, civil war historian James I. “Bud” Robertson Jr. passes away
- Noel Ignatiev, scholar who called for abolishing whiteness, dies at 78
- Historians Elizabeth Catte, Rebecca Solnit, and Peniel Joseph Quoted in Washington Post Article, "The Democrats Are Moving Left. Will America Follow?"
- When Southern Historians Made History Themselves